Caring for our guests goes hand-in-hand with our commitment to caring for the environment. Our company-wide focus on sustainability impacts everything we do, from the use of natural lighting and indigenous materials to participation in the Environmental Protection Agency’s pilot ER3 initiative. Montage Hotels & Resorts continues to win accolades in this arena, with Montage Deer Valley earning Silver LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Certification under the U.S. Green Building Council’s New Construction rating system – the first hotel / resort property in Utah to earn this distinction. At Montage Deer Valley, we are continually in awe of our pristine alpine setting and are devoted to protecting it for the enjoyment of future generations.
SUSTAINABLE ACHIEVEMENTS AND PROGRAMS
Communication channels that help coordinate and maximize our efforts in sustainability.
- An Environmental Impact Committee that develops and monitors “green” internal programs
- A Director of Sustainability responsible for creating, integrating and managing all aspects of sustainability company-wide
- A company culture that promotes sustainable practices
- Staff meeting updates about sustainable goals and initiatives
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
Management practices and technologies that minimize our impact to the environment while exceeding the expectations of our guests
- Comprehensive Waste Management Policy – This policy addresses proper disposal and recycling of materials and limits the amount of waste sent to the landfill. It includes products such as recyclable materials, e-waste, light bulbs, batteries, grease and paint. Currently working with local waste removal companies to maximize our full recycling capabilities in the area.
- Paper Reduction Program:
- All in-house computers are defaulted to print double-sided.
- Regularly scheduled reports are emailed and printed only when necessary.
- Paperless, online access to Human Resources information, benefits, 401K and associate surveys.
- All applicants who apply to Montage apply online.
- Energy Reduction Program
- Purchasing wind-generated power as a participant in the Utah Blue Sky Partner Program – the equivalent of planting more than 375 acres of trees each year.
- Utilization of energy-efficient lighting in guestrooms, associate areas and in applicable public spaces.
- Specification of Energy Star appliances during construction.
- Establishment of a monthly utility tool to measure costs and benchmark energy reduction over set time periods.
- Environmentally Preferred Purchasing (EPP) Plan – This procurement policy gives preferential treatment to products and services that meet benchmark environmental standards. One example is our green-seal certified cleaning products.
- Montage Deer Valley’s construction materials consisted of over 15% recycled content and over 21% of the material was sourced and manufactured within a 500-mile radius of the resort.
- Construction Waste Diversion – Montage Deer Valley was able to divert 83% of construction waste leaving the site from ending up in local landfills.
Environmentally Sensitive Landscaping
- Integrated organic fertilizer and landscape program that limits the amounts and kinds of pesticides used on-site and gives preferential treatment to organic fertilizers.
- Native and adaptive landscape palette, which allows for a reduction in the amount of irrigation necessary.
- Stormwater Runoff Filtration – All water runoff from Montage Deer Valley is diverted to a filtration system before making contact with sewers.
Social Responsibility and Resource Protection
Montage associates commit to protecting the surrounding environment and local community.
- An Environmental Impact Committee focused on establishing more sustainable operations in the day-to-day activities of Montage Deer Valley.
- No Styrofoam is used on the property. Substitute materials are either recyclable or biodegradable.
- Visitonary Partner with the Utah Blue Sky Partner Program.
- Enhancement of the public transportation system for Empire Pass.
- Comprehensive Rideshare Program – This program rewards associates who carpool or find alternative methods of transportation to the resort with monthly raffles, discounted bus vouchers and preferential parking spots.
- National Environmentally Responsible Redevelopment and Reuse (ER3) Project – Selected by the Environmental Protection Agency as a pilot for its national ER3 program. This initiative encourages superior sustainability principles to ensure redevelopment minimizes impacts to the natural environment and increases the quality of life of a community. Set aside 2,800 acres of open space as a conservation easement. Protect the community’s watersheds and wetlands. Preserve view corridors and restore native habitats.
- Montage Deer Valley has earned LEED Certification (Silver level) under the USGBC’s NCV2.2 rating system for new construction (mixed use hotel and residences).